Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Body Image... and Etiquette!

It's been over a year since writing the post The Divine Mother Gets Some Work Done-- in which I briefly discuss body image and declare my satisfaction with my own big-ness-- and since then I've had the profoundly strange experience of losing 50 pounds very rapidly due to circumstances out of my control. The strangest thing, however, is NOT my own radical shapeshifting-- it's dealing with everyone else's reactions... many of which are less than polite.

I was perfectly comfortable in my body when it was 5o pounds heavier; the rest of the world, however, seems to have a problem with it. When I was a larger person and needed to shop for clothes, salespeople turned their noses at me, saying "we don't have anything in your size," or at best, ignored me completely. Certain well-meaning family members were certain it was my fault I'm not married yet (I was only 27), that it must be because I was fat-- and then proceeded to "help" me by pointing out how everything I ate and wore was wrong. Now people I hardly know keep telling me they barely recognize me, how beautiful and healthy I look... often followed by just how huge I was before, and/or how unattractive they found me. I think that is a terribly rude thing to say to someone, yet people don't seem to think twice about giving me their full opinion of my appearance when I never wanted it in the first place.

Well for the benefit of the curvaceous people who may be reading this, plenty of people found me attractive when I was fat, and one boyfriend even told me I'd be "perfect" if I "gain 50 pounds". Another friend recently said "I thought you were hot before and you are hot now.... I always thought hotness comes from within." I'm still with the man I was with 50 pounds ago, and he says I look perfect either way.


What is even more perplexing to me is that the general consensus among people who marvel at my sudden weight loss is that I must be more disciplined, healthier, and working out more. In reality, I was in better shape as a big person and got a lot more exercise when I was larger (before I fell ill and lost so much weight).

The fact is, most of this weight gain and illness was due to an unknown gluten intolerance-- so by finding this out, and ceasing to eat gluten, I lost 50 pounds even more suddenly than I gained them. I am in no more control of my body-- or anything else-- now than I was when I was more voluptuous. In fact, I don't think we had much choice in the shape of our bodies any more than we had a choice in being human instead of a fish. Yet people act towards me as if I have changed, as if I am more disciplined, more in control, more respectable. They seem to think, since I am thin, I must be a better person....

...If only it was so easy!

Sorry to disappoint, but I still have all the same flaws I did months ago.... oh, and you really don't need to point those out, either. Thanks in advance.

13 comments:

  1. Michelle --

    I don't know if it makes any difference, but I thought you were pretty swell - charming, helpful, responsible, smart, fabulously-talented, very attractive - when I met you (50 pounds ago) and the weight change hasn't made any difference in my opinion. I think you're pretty swell now, too.

    The whole thing where weight is some kind of signifier for virtue freaks me out.

    -- Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan! Takes one to know one, as they say! yes...Freaky stuff, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family often equates my own level of happiness to my weight. "You'd feel so much better about yourself if you lost weight." Really? Because what really makes me happy is going into my studio and making jewelry. I can do that at any weight, right? I won't find a man because I'm overweight? Hello? Not only did I find a man, but he was well worth the wait! I find it sad that people want you to be loved for who you are, but then tell you that your weight is a problem. Isn't your weight part of who you are? My husband loves me and will stand by me, fat or thin. He sees past the body image that everyone else judges me for. THAT is what it's all about, the people in your world loving you for who you are. And for me, right now that means I'm Fluffy. Just like that little kitteh up there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been a naturally thin person watching my naturally heavier best friends be treated in unthinkable ways by many people, but by their mothers most horrifyingly. Lots of people like to toot the "health" horn. I can tell you, I am not now, and probably will never be in shape or terribly healthy... or at least no healthier than my larger friends. I am lucky to have been born with a naturally thin stature... and with the gene that says stress and food do not mix which actually causes me to become ill.... not because it makes me prettier or healthier, but because society automatically thinks those things and I don't have to worry about it. I recognize that and observe with disgust the treatment of others. I am so sorry that you and others have had to take that journey. It's not fair... it's disturbing and gross to think that's what we value.
    You've probably heard bizarre things from both sexes, but I can assure you, men do not care how much a vivacious, talented, funny, beautiful girl weighs! That's just silly. If men have said anything inappropriate, it's because they aren't good at expressing stuff (and if they met it they are not worth knowing at all) Women on the other hand... they are usually the ones that mean something by those tacky words. Whether they are "looking out for you" or they are jealous, women have a special agenda.
    The saddest thing I have witnessed (sad as in makes me cry) is when a heavy girl looses weight and she has her friends remove all of those horrible old "fat pictures". She herself is so ashamed... society has shamed her.... then, the sad part.... when she returns to her natural shape. I have watched this several times. I cannot imagine the pain and loneliness and shame she feels, I can only witness it and listen... makes me cry right now thinking about it. It is such a horrible thing we do to beautiful people. They are still the same person... what a horrible journey. I know I'm thin so I'm not supposed to care, but I do.
    I love you. You are and were and always be funny, beautiful, sexy, talented woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Michelle. Sorry to get off the subject but I have to ask you! In 1998 did you vacation in St. Kitt's Virgin Islands. Thanks
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi J1m71, Sounds wonderful but no, it's not me! :) Thanks for reading my blog though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa, yes I totally agree: we feel good about ourselves when we're doing the things we like/need to be doing-- it has nothing to do with weight. I'm glad you have such an intelligent and wonderful husband! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Abby... wow, you nailed it. What can I say? "I've looked at clouds from both sides now" (joni Mitchell). It's an astonishing experience to live life as both a thin person, then a fat person, then a thin person again. It really bring out people's true colors; for better or worse, I see who people really are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I just want to recognize that, fortunately, my mother was always very supportive of me no matter what shape I was. Thanks Mom! You know I was just fluffy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmm. Thanks for responding. I listened to your video's. Great great music. Keep up the good work and thanks again.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for being so open about this. I don't know much about the divine mother, but I do know that I'm looking for something new in my life. I feel lost and alone. What can I do? I need a new direction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this blog. I am hoping to see the same high-grade content by you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my very own blog now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are in reality a excellent webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a wonderful job on this topic!

    ReplyDelete